Kale Salad at Candle 79 Photo Credit: Anna Malskaya
Snack Greek Salad
Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Organic, Pescatarian. There are a lot of dietary restrictions these days and Vegan and Vegetarian restaurants seem to be popping up everywhere coinciding with the juicing and kale craze. Carnivore’s, believe it or not, but you can be satisfied at vegetarian restaurants and even crave this food on the reg. Below is a list of my favorite restaurants that cater and offer plenty of options that cater to the plant and veggie eaters, vegans and doubters who will lick their vegetarian plates in no time.
Suck it up and eat more veggies, it’s a New Year.
- Candle 79 (Upper East Side)– Appetizers and kale salads are better than entrees, and desserts are mind-blowing. Everything here is also vegan.
- Ellary’s Greens (West Village)- Ideal casual dining with amazing vegetable options as well as seafood and chicken options for those who aren’t on a strict vegetarian diet.
- Hu Kitchen (Union Square)- My favorite is the mash bowl with root vegetables (I add thai chicken) I also love the curried sweet potatoes and kale salad and eat these both weekly.
- Peacefood Cafe (Greenwich Village)- This might be my favorite vegetarian/vegan restaurant because of all the offerings from sushi, pizza, sandwiches, etc. The tofu curry and pumpkin side are my favorite followed by the strawberry shortcake made with doughy and sweet vegan biscuits.
- Snack (SoHo)- Greek Salad is unbeatable.
- Wild Ginger Vegetarian (NoLita) – This isn’t a place for everyone, but if you’re feeling Chinese food flavors and want vegetarian/vegan it sure does the trick. Try the Malaysian Curry Stew or Pad Thai.
- Dirt Candy (East Village). For a more upscale dining experience, try “chicken” aka fried cauliflower with waffles. This is definitely comfort food.
- Beyond Sushi (East Village and Chelsea Market) – You won’t even realize there is no fish in here because the mango and sweet potato components are so flavorful that you forget.
- Dimes (Lower East Side)- Love a good acai bowl but the buttercup squash egg dish is to die for.
- Nourish Kitchen + Table (West Village) – Menu changes daily with fresh produce that’s available with salads, sandwiches, veggies, fish, etc.
- Siggys Good Food (NoHo and Brooklyn) – Love their smoothies, breakfast burrito and raspberry hazelnut bar (this isn’t gluten free though FYI). Everything here is organic.
- The Butcher’s Daughter (NoLita): The homemade almond butter toast with strawberries and bananas is the best peanut butter toast you’ve ever had.
Nourish Kitchen + Table’s Greenmarket Quiche
Peacefood Cafe Green Thai Curry
Peacefood Cafe Chickpea Fries