Sushi restaurants populate every corner, every street and every block in New York City and after a while, it seems like they all have the same name and same menus. Sushi is always easy, mess free, quick, healthy (unless you are a Dynamite or Godzilla roll orderer) and my go-to take out dinner. While the most popular sushi restaurants such as Sushi Yasuda or Sushi of Gari require a whole months pay check, below are some of the best casual sushi and delivery restaurants across Manhattan which also include amazing BYOB options ideal for groups or for an entertaining, cheap night out.
- Nomado 33 – (Murray Hill -33rd and Lexington) Order the Murray Hill Roll yellowtail, avocado and jalapeño inside, topped with pepper tuna and miso sauce. I have this at least once a week, and I think it’s probably the best roll I’ve had providing a heavy amount of fish ( left roll on 1st pic above).
- Kibo (Gramercy – 18th and Park) While this BR Guest restaurant doesn’t deliver, it’s worth it to call in and pick it up. However, the cocktail lounge is fun and not a wait.
- Akina Sushi – (East Village – 14th and 1st ave) – Best quality fish of any BYOB and the Ninja Roll which has yellowtail tuna, white fish and scallion is great.
- Sushi Yawa (West Village -8th and 6th ave)
- Momoya – (Chelsea – 20th and 7th ave and UWS) Typical lunch special with yellowtail scallion, spicy tuna and salmon avocado is in 2nd pic above.
- Cherin Sushi – (East Village – 6th and 2nd ave) – Small, narrow BYOB spot with big portions and great combination rolls
- Fu Sushi – (East Village – 12th and B)
- Amber – pretty decent with several locations all over the city
- Nobi Sushi – (Murray Hill – 30th and 3rd ave) This friendly joint offers a bowl of Starbursts for you to snack on while you wait or on your way out.
- M2M (East Village – 11th and 3rd ave) Morning 2 Midnight is an incredible Asian grocery store with pre-made sushi such as your everyday: miso soup, spicy salmon, spicy tuna and California rolls or you can order at the counter for as low as $5.00 a roll. You can pick up any Asian cooking ingredients or snacks that you could possibly think of here.
Are your favorite sushi delivery or BYOB places missing from the list? If so, leave a note in the comments or email your suggestions to [email protected].